Do Sparrow Cause Damage?
Damages Caused by Sparrows
- The sparrows are a host of some parasites and diseases. They are the source of dissemination of diseases like Chlamydiosis, Salmonellosis, Mycoplasma diseases, protozoal diseases and internal parasites like roundworms and tapeworms.
- Sparrows are recorded to possess bacterial pathogens which are common to humans like Salmonella and Escherichia coli. They serve as a reservoir host to transmit diseases to humans.
- They also host avian pox and avian malaria which spreads to the native birds.
- The sparrows are infested by a number of external parasites like mites, fleas or ticks.
- Localized damage to the grain fields can be done by sparrows as the feed in large numbers over a small area.
- Sparrows can damage the crops by feeding on seedlings, seeds, flowers and fruits.
- They interfere with the production of livestock especially poultry by contaminating their feed.
- Bird droppings can cause damage to the roofs as they are very acidic in nature. They may cause damage to the machinery like air conditioner equipment’s, industrial machinery and may pose a health risk to workers. They also pose dangerous health risks to workers.
- Bird droppings can ruin plastics, chemical, and liquids when they are being manufactured.
- They enter through broken or unsealed holes into the attics of houses, apartments, and buildings. They construct their nests in such places and ruin the whole area with their bodily wastes.
- Sparrow’s nests may cause blockage of the drainage systems along with damage to the roofs.
House sparrows consume grains in fields and in storage. Localized damage can be considerable since sparrows often feed in large numbers over a small area. Sparrows damage crops by pecking seeds, seedlings, buds, flowers, vegetables, and maturing fruits. They interfere with the production of livestock, particularly poultry, by consuming and contaminating feed.
Because they live in such close association with humans, they are a factor in the dissemination of diseases (chlamydiosis, coccidiosis, erysipeloid, Newcastle’s, parathypoid, pullorum, salmonellosis, transmissible gastroenteritis, tuberculosis, various encephalitis viruses, vibriosis, and yersinosis), internal parasites (acariasis, schistosomiasis, taeniasis, toxoplasmosis, and trichomoniasis), and household pests (bed bugs, carpet beetles, clothes moths, fleas, lice, mites, and ticks).
House sparrow droppings and feathers create janitorial problems, as well as hazardous, unsanitary, and odoriferous situations inside and outside of buildings and sidewalks under roosting areas.
Damage can also be caused by the pecking of rigid foam insulation inside buildings. The bulky, flammable nests of house sparrows are a potential fire hazard. The chattering of the flock on a roost is an annoyance to nearby human residents.
The house sparrow is found in nearly every habitat except dense forests, alpine, and desert environments. Sparrows typically prefer human-altered habitats, particularly farm and grassy areas. It is the most common bird in most urban areas.
House sparrows are primarily granivorous. Plant materials (grain, fruit, seeds, and garden plants) make up 96% of the adult diet. The remainder consists of insects, earthworms, and other animal matter.
Garbage, bread crumbs, and refuse from fast-food restaurants can support sparrow populations in urban habitats.
About Pigeon Patrol:
Pigeon Patrol Products & Services is the leading manufacturer and distributor of bird deterrent (control) products in Canada. Pigeon Patrol products have solved pest bird problems in industrial, commercial, and residential settings since 2000, by using safe and humane bird deterrents with only bird and animal friendly solutions. At Pigeon Patrol, we manufacture and offer a variety of bird deterrents, ranging from Ultra-flex Bird Spikes with UV protection, Bird Netting, 4-S Gel and the best Ultrasonic and audible sound devices on the market today.
Contact us at 1- 877– 4– NO-BIRD, (604) 585-9279 or visit our website at www.pigeonpatrol.ca
Pigeon / Pigeon Patrol / Pigeons Roosting / Vancouver Pigeon Patrol / Bird Control / Surrey Pigeon Control / Pest / Vancouver Pigeon Blog / Birds Inside Home / Pigeons in the cities / Ice Pigeons/ What to do about pigeons/ most common types of sparrows , Damages Caused by Sparrows